We have tried to read some books that provide some background to the countries we have travelled in. Below is a list of some of the ones we found most informative.
- Europe in a Motorhome, HD Jackson – covers southern
Europeand useful motohoming information
Europe: Travels through the 20th Century, Geert Mak – fantastic book with so much information
- Journey through Europe, John Hillaby – a walk from northern to southern
Europeabout 30 years ago
- A Little History of the World, EH Gombrich – excellent background to European history
Books about particular countries:
- The Dark Heart of Italy, Tobias Jones – good background for contemporary
Italy Pompeii, Robert Harris – good historical and geographical background for the Bayof Naples
- A Farewell to Arms, Ernest Hemingway – set in
Sloveniaand in the first world war Italy
- Ghosts of
Spain, Giles Tremlett – good background for contemporary Spain
- Soldiers of Salami, Javier Cercas – A well put together story fluctuating between the present day and the Spanish civil war
- Driving over lemons, Chris Stewart – an ex-pat emigrating and farming near Orgiva
- A Moment of War, Laurie Lee – A well written account of his time in the Spanish civil war (George Orwell's book is also fantastic, if you are interested in this period)
- Zorro, Isabel Allende - an excellent tale and good background to Spanish colonialism in north America
- Walking in The Algarve, Julie Statham, a Cicerone Guide - 34 walks on the coast and in the countryside around The Algarve.
- Walking in Adalucia, Guy Hunter-Watts - walks in Natural Parks in Andalucia. We used this in Aracena and around Ronda and found it very useful.
- Cycling Southern France, Loire to Mediterranean, Richard Peace - information and routes for cyclists.
- Slovenia (Landscapes), David Robertson and Sarah Stewart - Very useful book for walks in Slovenia and includes some driving tours and picnic ideas.